[brailleblaster] Re: xsl and xslt

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 02:46:43 +0100

XSLT is far more than that.

In a short sentence XSLT allows transforming XML into something else, including other XML formats.

One popular use might be for converting a core XML data file to a form that a user wishes to see. However it may equally be used for converting one XML format into something else for other software to process (eg. if a tool wished to import data files from another software package).

It could also be used for filtering out stuff from a data file (eg. a shop could have product listings in XML and you could have an XSLT stylesheet for showing products which meet certain criteria, such as being in the books category).

You can use XSLT to produce something other than XML, however in doing that you are ensuring that XSLT will not be possible to use going the other way.

Michael Whapples
On 15/08/2012 02:03, John J. Boyer wrote:
Isn't xsl intended to deswcribe how things should be displayed? I always
thought it was to xml as css is to html. It would enable us to display
any xml file natively with proper layout and fonts, etc. That would
leave editing. I think that transforming one xml flavor to another
should be avoided, because we then have the problem of transforming
back.