[brailleblaster] Re: Is it possible to show a stack trace in a dialog box?

  • From: "Michael Whapples" <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:07:50 -0000

It depends a lot on how you are doing logging. Firstly what system are you using for logging, eg. the Java logging API built into the JDK or something external like log4j? I am most familiar with the Java logging API. Also my familiarity with the Java logging API is configuring it from a configuration file, configuration from code may differ. In the simplest case it would be create another Logger in any class you want to use it, however depending on the configuration it may be more complicated to get it to do what you want.

I will try and get a look at what you are doing at some point, may be today but I cannot guarantee as I need to get on with my university work.

If you could give me hints on what you are doing for logging then that would make my task simpler, which logging API you are using, what configuration you are using, etc.

Michael Whapples

-----Original Message----- From: John J. Boyer
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:45 PM
To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [brailleblaster] Re: Is it possible to show a stack trace in a dialog box?

Thanks. I have set up the logger, but it only reports problems that
occur in BBIni. How do I get it to repoet problems in other classes?
Perhaps an error message could offer the user the option of viewing the
log.

John

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 04:06:10PM -0000, Michael Whapples wrote:
Hello,
Firstly I would say that in general stack traces should never be shown to
users, stack traces probably are only really meaningful to developers. May
be if there is an error message appear a details button may reveal debug
information which may include a stack trace, however we should try and
provide a more helpful message wherever possible to help users. An error
dialog may offer a way to let the user send debug information to
developers, but we probably would want more than just a stack trace, so may
be a section of the log output for just before the exception was raised
could be sent as well.

Anyway, to deal with the actual question, refer to the javadoc for
Exception, which really doesn't add much over Throwable, so here's the link
for Throwable's javadoc for Java6
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/Throwable.html

If you were wanting to write to a stream of some sort then the
printStackTrace methods may be relevant as there are methods which can take
PrintWriter or PrintStream. If you want greater programatic control/access
to the stack trace then look at the method getStackTrace() which gets an
array of the StackTraceElements, you would need to deal with
StackTraceElement yourself to create the String in the form you want.

Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:01 PM
To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [brailleblaster] Is it possible to show a stack trace in a dialog
box?

This would be a big help to development oif one is using the GUI and
something bad happens. The trace would have to be captured as a String
and then passed to a method in Documentmanager. This method would in
turn display it in a SWT MessageBox with an OK button or perhaps with
the option to continue.

More generally. liblouis and liblouisutdml were designed to be their own
developmennt tools. How can this be applied to BrailleBlaster?

Thanks,