[brailleblaster] Implementing a generic embosser driver using SWT

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 10:36:53 -0500

The PrintDialog class in org.eclipse.swt.printing works nicely. When the
print button is pressed it returns with an instance of PrinterData
Printing is done with the Printer class. However, the user must create a
Graphics Context (GC) and then draw on ikt whatever is to be printed.
Tis is overkill for a generic embosser driver and would probably cause
difficulties anyway. All that is needed is to send a text file to the
embosser using the generic printer selection on Windows and the
equivalent onother platforms. If the file has the proper number of
characters per line and lines per page and a forms feed between pages
most embossers will procuce perfectly good braille. It would be nice to
let the user have the PrintDialog, since it works so nicely, but we need
a way to just send straight text to the embosser. Where is the generic
printer choice located. PrintDialog doesn't show it on my Windows
machine.

It would be nice to have the generic embosser driver available in the
upcoming release. Suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,