[brailleblaster] Re: BrailleBlaster development continues.

  • From: Keith Creasy <kcreasy@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 15:10:59 +0000

Hi Greg.

Thank you and I'll pass your comments along. Correction, APH is not the
"American Foundation for the Blind" but the "American Printing House for the
Blind".

I also would point out that we have been asking for collaborative participation
for three years and no one, and I mean no one has stepped forward with any
proposal or assistance. We have never asked for financial contributions. When
we first adopted BrailleBlaster as the foundation for our project one of the
reasons was the hope that we would not have to go it alone but as it turns out
that is exactly what has happened.

My suggestion would be that if the Commonwealth Braille & Talking Book
Cooperative wishes to collaborate on the BrailleBlaster project that they
contact APH and offer to discuss such a proposal.

Also please note that this is not a decision made by me but by APH as an
organization and there are good reasons, not the least of which is lack of
participation, for making this decision. Another reason is that the software
represents APH and it was felt that it was not nearly of high enough quality at
this point for it to be public.

Thank you.

Keith

#320, 185-911 Yates Street Victoria, BC V8V 4Y9 CANADA
Email: info@xxxxxxxxx

U.S. Address
21908 Almaden Av.
Cupertino, CA 95014
UNITED STATES
Email: gkearney@xxxxxxxxx

On Jun 10, 2015, at 6:07 AM, Keith Creasy <kcreasy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello all.

Please let me provide an update on what is being done with regard to
APH's work on BrailleBlaster.

Currently APH is doing all the development on BrailleBlaster. We had
hoped that other individuals or organizations would join in and
participate but it has not happened. APH is continuing development but
has made a decision to keep development internal and private until a
decision is made to release it back to the public.

The public repository at http://code.google.com/brailleblaster is
still there but will go away at some point. Another public repository
at http://bitbucket.org/brailleblaster is a copy of the last version
on code.google. The bitbucket site will be the place where future
public development of BrailleBlaster will take place.

Certainly further development of the BrailleBlaster code is continuing
at APH at a fairly rapid pace. The decision to keep it private at
least for the time being was a business decision made by the
administration at APH. It continues to be our goal to develop software
tools and braille publications that meet the high standard of
excellence that has always been the hallmark of the American Printing House
for the Blind.

Kind regards,
Keith Creasy
Programmer