[brailleblaster] Re: 64 Bit Brltty libraries

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 14:23:30 +0100

If memory serves me correct, then the BrlTTY communication is done via sockets, therefore it probably only means compiling the bindings/communication library as 64bit.

Unfortunately I am not really a C or C++ person, so I do not know how to get these compiled for 64-bit.

I thought that Linux distributions had compiled brltty for 64-bit, so I would have thought on the Mac it would be a similar process as both use GCC/make/all the other parts of the build chain.

Windows possibly is the hardest one. Mingw64 might help, but I have rarely had success with Mingw32 so never even bothered looking further into Mingw32 and Mingw64. I do not know whether brltty has MSVC project files for building with visual studio.

I guess if really stuck then may be there is the possibility of reading up the socket communication protocol of BrlTTY (I believe details in the BrlTTY documentation) and implementing your own bindings, although this possibly is not really recommended (potential bugs, reimplementing much which is done, etc).

Michael Whapples
On 24/09/2013 04:49, Sina Bahram wrote:

Hi all,

Please forgive me. I know this is slightly off topic for this list, but I'm hoping that given the awesome makeup of the members herein, the OT nature of the post will be forgiven, and we can point Andy and his team towards any resources or individuals who may be of assistance?

I've copied both Andy and his student on this email.

Please see below

Thanks a ton!

Take care,

Sina

Twitter: @SinaBahram

Website: http://www.SinaBahram.com

Blog: http://blog.SinaBahram.com

*From:*Andreas Stefik
*Subject:* 64 Bit Brltty libraries

Folks,

A student of mine has been working on integrating better braille support into Sodbeans, but has been having a heck of a lot of difficulty. Specifically, what she has been trying to do so far is to write simple little console programs to send braille commands. She has that working, but in order to integrate braille into Sodbeans, we need 32-bit and 64-bit versions of brltty for each platform, but she has had a heck of a time getting 64 bit versions working. Some questions:

1. Does anyone have, or would anyone from this community be willing, to compile us a 64 bit version of this library, at least for windows, but preferably for mac?

2. If not, would someone from this community be willing to skype with my student and help walk her through building this on the various platforms?

3. If folks here don't know these libraries well, can someone put Nicole (CC:d) in touch with the designers? She has repeatedly tried getting in contact on mailing lists and by email, but has just had no luck.

I'm afraid I don't personally know these libraries very well. Any help the community can provide would make it much easier for us to get this stuff working,

Stefik