[bookshare-discuss] Re: symbls vs words

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 03:21:31 -0700

Hi Cindy,

This is just my opinion, but I'd do things as we always have done, using
symbols, not words.  They're not obtrusive or intrusive, whichever is
correct, but they show quickly that something needs to be noticed.  If it's
not enough for some people, then maybe, if they really want to take note,
they can slow down their screen readers, or increase, or decrease the amount
of punctuation that is spoken.  In my opinion, writing out the words is
cumbersome and awkward.  And the truth is, we're not going to please all  of
the people all of the time, and some of the people, we're never going to
please.  So, for me, at least, it's brackets and asterisks as we have always
done.  It's an indicator of changes and doesn't take up a lot of time or
space to read.  And for me, that's what I want, knowledge without intrusion.

All that said, it's just my opinion. And others can do what they feel is
right.

Mayrie

  _____