[bookshare-discuss] Re: reading books on your pc these days

  • From: "Alan Lemly" <walemly@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 09:13:13 -0500

Traci, based on what the Bookshare site says about Victor Reader Soft, I
would think you should still be able to download and install it on a Windows
PC. Here's the page where Bookshare discusses the available readers:

http://www.bookshare.org/readingTools

I assume you're probably running Windows 7 on your new laptop. You might
need to do something additional to get Victor Reader Soft to work with it
based on the following sentence on the above Bookshare page:

"If you experience issues using Victor Reader Soft with Windows Vista or
Windows 7, please contact support."

I use Windows XP so I don't know what the issues might be with Windows 7.
Here is the link provided to contact Bookshare Support:

http://www.bookshare.org/contactUs?sendInfoOn=Technical+Support

The following was copied from the How to Install Victor Reader Soft article
on the Bookshare Support site:

Windows Vista or Windows 7 users: Victor Reader Soft must be started with
the "Run As Administrator" option. To make this the default:

Right click the Victor Reader Soft icon (keyboard users highlight the
program icon and press shift + F10).

1.      Choose the "Properties" option from the pop-up menu
2.      Select the Advanced button
3.      Place a checkmark in the "run as administrator" checkbox
4.      Select the Apply button
5.      Respond to the remaining prompts as needed.

If you would like to read the entire Tech Support article discussing the
Victor Reader Soft installation, go to the following link for the printable
version of it:

http://na2.salesforce.com/_ui/selfservice/support/SelfServiceSolution/d?id=5
0140000000aJhi
<http://na2.salesforce.com/_ui/selfservice/support/SelfServiceSolution/d?id=
50140000000aJhi&retURL=%2Fsserv%2Fsolutionbrowser.jsp%3Fsearch%3Dvictor%2Bre
ader%2Bsoft%2Band%2Bwindows%2B7%26cid%3D02n40000000PfNj%26t%3D4&ps=1&pPv=1>
&retURL=%2Fsserv%2Fsolutionbrowser.jsp%3Fsearch%3Dvictor%2Breader%2Bsoft%2Ba
nd%2Bwindows%2B7%26cid%3D02n40000000PfNj%26t%3D4&ps=1&pPv=1

The above link may break due to its length so here is a TinyURL for the same
page:

http://tinyurl.com/6tjelzf

Good luck and please let us know your results.

Alan Lemly