[bookshare-discuss] Re: introduction

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <kellhart@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:54:52 -0600

Hi Anastasia, and congratulations on your new scanning equipment. I take it
from your mention of kes files that the software you have is Kurzweil. I
have Kurzweil too, and I'm very happy with it. What works well for me is to
scan books and keep them in the kes format until I've finished scanning them
as well as doing any reading and error correcting I'm going to do. Then I
convert the file to rtf, which is Bookshare's preferred format. It's the
preferred format because it maintains formatting like page breaks,
paragraphing, bold, italics, etc. Also, it is a format that practically
everyone can access, which means books submitted in it get validated faster
than books submitted in proprietary formats like kes.
Feel free to ask any questions you need to about your scanner, software,
settings, and scanning in general.
Kellie