[bookshare-discuss] Vintage Radio Book Initiative, any interest?

  • From: Tony Baechler <bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 07:31:36 -0700

Hello all,

I had a thought. Would there be any interest in forming a small, volunteer group to scan and otherwise make available books on vintage radio? It doesn't have to be limited to just that, I would also like to see such a group for science fiction and classic mysteries. The idea is that I would start a mailing list for discussion. All books would of course be uploaded to bookshare.org after scanning as is already done with submitted books. However this would be a specialized group of volunteers focusing on just a certain genre such as vintage radio. Ideally, we would have a few people to donate books to scan, a core group of scanners to get the donated books actually scanned, and one or two people to upload them. The bookshare community could do the actual validating or there could be a subgroup for that also. There would be no associated web site since all books would still only get posted to bookshare. I have some other lists to contact in regards to getting books donated but the biggest thing we need is people to scan.

Please contact me off list if this is something that you think you would like to see happen or if you're interested in scanning, donating, validating, or volunteering in some other way. If I get enough feedback, I will create an appropriate list and post instructions on joining here and various other places. Depending on how well this works, I would start other projects for other genres such as fantasy, mysteries, etc. If you think this is a flawed idea or see a fault with it, please let me know that too and I'll try to address your concerns. Either way, thanks for reading this and I'm interested in your thoughts.

Please feel free to post this to the volunteer list or other lists related to books and reading for the blind. I will make my own announcement to the OTR Digest when things get established. Contact me at tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Also, just for clarification, this is not an official project of bookshare.org and I'm not making money from this. All books would still go through bookshare.org for copyright reasons. They would not be available from other sites.