[bookshare-discuss] Re: Pacmate 3.5 and bookshare

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 14:54:35 -0500

Hi all,

First, Bookshare files haven't had the BKS extension on them for over a year. The folks who do the software for the Icon should know this. They should have changed the way in which the Icon handles Bookshare books. All Bookshare files are zip files now, and you only need the classic unzip utility to open them. One caveat, the files are password protected. That's probably why you haven't been able to open them directly. My advice would be to download the zip file and open it in the normal way. Don't attempt to open it while downloading it, or as part of the download process. You will be asked for a password. I don't know anything about a program called Total Commander, but you shouldn't have to use a third party program at all. The normal zip utility for the Icon should handle password protected files. If Ubuntu and Debian do this, then the Icon should as well.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring