[bookshare-discuss] Next Meeting of the Science Fiction Club, Thursday, May 10, 2012

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "SF list" <scifi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 14:42:36 -0400

Hello Folks,

Another good turnout at our most recent meeting. However the book we read,
Infinity Beach by Jack McDevitt, received decidedly mixed reviews. Our next
book is a classic, The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester.

The Next meeting of the Science Fiction Club will be on Thursday, May 10, 2012.

Place, Book Nook at:

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e

Time: 9 PM Eastern, 8 PM Central, 7 PM Mountain, 6 PM Pacific, and 01:00 UTC.

The book we're reading this month is The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester.

Available from Bookshare at:

http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/30412

and from BARD at:

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.nls/db.18912

Here's the BARD annotation:

In a grotesque future where men have acquired the
ability of instant teleportation, Gully Foyle, a common
rogue, vows to track down the men who left him to die in a
wrecked space ship. In doing so, he becomes the pathfinder of
man's destiny among the stars. 1956.

Here's Bookshare's long synopsis:

The Stars My Destination is a 260 page classic science Fiction novel written by
Alfred
Bester and first published in 1956. The Summary by Vintage Books reads as
follows:
A trailblazing novel of interplanetary intrigue and adventure that pits a
solitary
renegade against the empire builders of the next millennium. Education: none,
skills:
none, merits: none, recommendations: none." So reads Gully Foyle's Merchant
Marine
card. But Gully has managed to survive for 170 days in the airless purgatory of
deep
space and to escape to Terra with a murderous grudge and a secret that could
change
the course of history. In this pulse-quickening novel, Alfred Bester imagines a
future
in which people "jaunte" a thousand miles with a single thought, where the rich
barricade
themselves in labyrinths and protect themselves with radioactive hit men-and
where
an inarticulate outcast is the most valuable and dangerous man alive. The Stars
My
Destination is a classic of technological prophecy and timeless narrative
enchantment
by an acknowledged master of science fiction. A MAIN SELECTION OF THE SCIENCE
FICTION
BOOK CLUB

This is a classic, so hope to see lots of people at the next meeting to talk
about it.

Evan