[bookshare-discuss] Re: Mary Renault

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 02:26:21 -0400

Not yet listed in Bookshare are The Last of The Wine and The Praise Singer, two
of her best set in ancient Greece.  The first one is in the time of Sophocles.
The second is the last of the ancient Greece preceeding Fire From Heaven, the
first half of the story of Alexander of which The Persian Boy is the sequel.
She also wrote a non-fiction biography of Alexander whose name escapes me.
Personally, I think the  first listed above was the best, then she goes to
Plato and Aristotle, Alexander the Great's tutor.  The philosophers are never
the center of the story but she puts them in a context that makes understanding
them easier. And best of all, they are good stories.  Maybe you or someone
reading this will volunteer to scan them. Validators should be easy to find as
the books are very popular and almost always in print although I would avoid
book club editions as the ones I have read were terrible.

Good luck.

Amy
omsm
  ----- Original Message ----- n Bookshare are Subject: [bookshare-discuss]
Mary Renault

  When I was young I had a wonderful older friend named Jan Hard. (By older I
mean I was 18 and she was about 30. In any case, seeing that my education had
some gaps in it, she made up a reading list for me. two of the books on that
reading list were Bull from the Sea and, I think, The King Must Die by Mary
Renault. These two books are a first person narrative from the point of view of
King Thesius who fought the Minitar.
  The bull Dances depicted in Miss Mary Renault's fiction were, as far as I can
judge as close to the real minoen civilization as Archeology and a wonderful
imagination could make them. The books were on RFB. and I see they are also on
bookshare. First is the King must Die then The Bull from the Sea.
  I also note that I searched for Mary Renault and for Renault Mary using
Kurzweil and it didn't find anything. but up on the sight are "five books by
this author".
  Happy Reading.

  Sincerely Yours:
  Duane Iverson