[bookshare-discuss] Let's read Historical Novels.

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 14:26:28 -0800

    Accessible World News Wire

Adelswverein - The Gathering

Last evening the let's Read Historical Novels group on AccessibleWorld.org had
the pleasure of having author Celia Hayes as a guest to answer questions about
her novel, "Adelswverein - The Gathering", which was our assignment for this
meeting.  The novel follows two families, one of German descent but long
settled in Texas, and one that has just come as part of a charitable groups
project from Germany to settle in inland Texas in the 1840s.

It was obvious that members of the book discussion group thoroughly enjoyed
this well written, well-researched novel.  We asked Hayes questions about some
of the historical events she illustrated through her fictional interpretation
of the time and place, including the dangerous voyage from Europe, the
abandonment of the settlers by their sponsors, the relations with the local
Indian tribes, and some of the factual characters encountered.  We talked about
several of the characters in the novel, in particular the sisters Magda and
Liesl and their respective men folk. Those who read the book affirmed their
intentions of reading the other two novels in the trilogy.

One thing this conversation accomplished was to make one more author aware of
print impaired people as intelligent, engaged and enthusiastic readers. Ms.
Hayes posted on her professional association's Yahoo group afterwards about how
much she felt her work had been understood and appreiciated, and she encouraged
more authors to connect with us by making their books accessible.

This month we are reading Michael Curtis Ford's novel of Ancient Greece, The
Ten Thousand.  It is available through NLS and will soon be available on
BookShare.  We will discuss the book at our scheduled meeting in April.

Date:  Tuesday, April 7th, 2009.

Time:  6:00 p.m. Pacific, 7:00 p.m. Mountain, 8:00 p.m. Central, 9:00 p.m.
           Eastern and elsewhere in the world Wednesday 1:00 GMT.

Where:  Let's Read Historical Novels Room at:

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs87449e52193e

Or, alternatively,

http://www.accessibleworld.org. Select The Let's Read Historical Novels Room;
enter your first and last names on the sign-in screen.

All online interactive programs require no password, are free of charge, and
open to anyone worldwide having an Internet connection, a computer, speakers,
and a sound card. Those with microphones can interact audibly with the
presenters and others in the virtual audience.

Approximately 20 minutes prior to the event start time, go to the Let's Read
Historical Novels Room at either of the sign-in links above.

If you are a first-time user of the Talking Communities online conferencing
software, there is a small, safe software program that you need to download and
then run. A link to the software is available on every entry screen to the
Accessible World online rooms.

Sign up information for all Accessible World News Wires and discussion lists
are also available at our website: http://www.accessibleworld.org.

Media Contacts:

Robert Acosta, Chair
Accessible World
818-998-0044
Email: boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.helpinghands4theblind.org

Joann Becker, Events Coordinator

Accessible World

617-969-1213

Email: joannbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxx

George Buys, CEO.

Talking Communities

Email: buys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Accessible World, a division of Helping Hands For The Blind, a 501(c)(3)
not-for-profit organization, seeks to educate the general public, the disabled
community and the professionals who serve them by providing highly relevant
information about new products, services, and training opportunities designed
specifically to eliminate geographic and access barriers that adversely affect
them.