[bookshare-discuss] Re: King Bongo

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 12:39:46 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, it is your submission, and it has been a while
since you submited it. First it was on the download
list for quite a while; then I took it because of that
but didn't get to it; then released it because I was
told I had too many books out; then I took it again
when nobody else did. Now it's finished but I can't
find it.

You're right--it is a wonderful novel. At first I
didn't care for the way it was written, but then I got
into it--wonderful characters, fascinating mystery
with different threads that finally come together, and
a wonderful depiction of Havanna in the late '50's
immediately before the successful revolution.

Are you interested in scanning any of his other
novels? I have no idea what they are like or where
they are set, but the San Francisco Chronicle
considered Rabbit Boss as "one of the most important
books of the twentieth century." OF course, since
SZanchez lives in San Francisco, maybe the reviewer is
one of his friends. smile. OTher titles are Mile Xero,
Day of the Bees, and Zuit-Suit Murders. I suspect that
the last one, at least, is a historical novel also
based on the Zuit-suit murders in Los Angeles in the
middle decades of the 20th century. I've read a little
about them and did see the play written about it.

Cindy