[bookshare-discuss] Gromeyer Award in Religion

  • From: "Rick Roderick" <rickrod@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 13:42:52 -0500

Every year,my almer mater, Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary,
give the Gromeyer Award for Religion. The University of Louisville gives out
other Gromeyer Awards. Here is this year's winner, and I am happy to report
that it is on Bookshare.

Willie James Jennings
Why has Christianity, a religion based on love, failed in its attempts to
heal racial division?
The Rev. Dr. Willie James Jennings, associate professor of theology and
black church studies at Duke Divinity School, has earned the 2015 Louisville
Grawemeyer Award in Religion for tackling that question in his book, The
Christian Imagination: Theology and the Origins of Race (Yale University
Press, 2010).

Jennings explains in his work how Christianity contributed to segregation
and racism in America beginning in colonial times. He names broken
relationships between people and land and rifts between Christianity and
Judaism as key factors, arguing that a renewal of Christian imagination must
take place to heal those divides.