[bookshare-discuss] From Judy about NLS (a combo post!

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 00:30:15 -0500

First, I want to thank absolutely everybody for their support and suggestions - it makes such a difference to not feel like I'm out here on my own tilting at windmills when it comes to my frustration with NLS!

I'm going to cut and paste from a bunch of posts so this is all in one place!

Brian Miller said, "While its true I've had some
wonderful conversations with various reader assistants about books, as we
shared recommendations, but I never had anyone tell me what I should or
should not read.  This is paternalism pure and simple."

Amen! I want recommendations, but to be told what I should and shouldn't read is just unacceptable!

Brian Albriton asked, "What is my regional Libary?"

It's Milwaukee. I have to say right here that one of the other librarians is excellent there, and another one is good. But they often aren't available, so I'm now just calling back when I need to talk to them directly so I get one of these two librarians.

Ann Parsons said, "I've left in this quoted message for two reasons. First, this message indicates that you are indeed reading and writing at an adult level. Second, your clear, concise, and well worded, and well spelled prose would do credit to anyone."

(smile) Thank you Ann! I've kept quiet until now about my background, but I have not only a university degree but also have an advanced degree, and was only a few credits away from my PhD when I decided to accept a terrific job offer from the private sector many years ago. I've worked not only in the private sector as a researcher but also at one of the top Big Ten universities, on the staff, as a researcher. So it's been rather jaw-dropping to have this librarian repeatedly treat me, based on the simple fact that I'm a patron on the NLS, as if I couldn't possibly on my own be able to select out appropriate books. Advice is great, but this argumentative dismissal of my choices has been very wearing.

Ann Parsons said, "Now, if I knew that librarian's name, address or phone number, I'd be calling her up and explaining in no uncertain terms that if Judy S. chooses to read Dr. Sues or The Velveteen Rabit or Harry Potter or Madaleine L'Engle it's none of her business and if she doesn't leave you alone, she's going to get a storm of email from people demanding that she leave Judy alone and let her read whatever the Hell she wants to read! Sheesh! Tell you what, Judy, if you don't get any satisfaction from your regional library, write to Judy Dixon at Library of Congress."

Ann, if you were right here I'd give you a big hug! I love the Velveteen Rabbit! And the suggestion to contact Judy Dixon is an excellent one - very much appreciated.

And in terms of what I like to read - almost anything that is character driven, or that is military sf or military fiction, historical fiction, classic literature, or just plain well-written. I don't like poorly written romance novels (but love much of Judith Kranz), or horror genre (but loved the original Bram Stoker novel Dracula!), or most sf spinoffs like the Star Trek novels or the Star Wars novels. Here's a list of my favorite authors: Rumer Godden, George Seldon, WEB Griffin, Dick Francis, C.J. Cherryh, Poul Anderson, Mary Stewart, Carolyn B. Cooney, Jessica Haas, K.M. Peyton, Paul Gallico, Eric Hatch, Cynthia Voigt, Bill Bryson, Peter Beagle, Edward Beach, Patricia Calvert, Orson Scott Card, Gordon Dickson, Jean Slaughter Doty, Dorothy Dunnett, Ayn Rand, Jack Finney, Fred Gibson, Joe Haldeman, Marguerite Henry, James Herriot, Helen Hoover, Will James, Rudyard Kipling, E.L. Konigsburg, Judith Kranz, Robert Lawson, Ursula LeGuin, C.S. Lewis, Jack London, Anne McCaffrey, Patricia McKillip, Robin McKinley, L.M. Montgomery, Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, Mary O'Hara, Katherine Paterson, Richard Peck, Chaim Potok, Felix Salten, George Seldon, Gene Stratton-Porter, Josephine Tey, JRR Tolkein, Kurt Vonnegot, Morris West, E.B. White, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Persia Wooley, Herman Wouk, Lawrence Yep and Roger Zelazny. To unsubscribe from this list, send a blank Email to bookshare-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx