[bookshare-discuss] Re: Childrens Books

  • From: "Allison" <alwaysallie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:52:50 -0400

Hello,

I recommend books that have been recipiants of the Caldecott Medal.  This is
the yearly award given to children's book illustrators by the American
Library Association.  These books are all over schools, libraries,
neighborhoods, clubs, etc.  Quite often, blind children aren't given access
to these books because it isn't considered so important that they get
exposed to illustrated works.  People figure, well he/she can't enjoy the
beautiful pictures, so why bother?  Truth is, kids are missing out on a lot
that way.  They miss some great stories first of all since these books also
have text.  They miss being able to share in the same books that other kids
they know are reading.  And they are losing exposure to art and the
understanding of its many different fascets.

I was trying to scan the most recent (2004) Caldecott winner just the other
night and found it really frustrating.  If others would like to take on such
a project, I think it would be great!  I am going to try and finish this
one, it's called,

The Man Who Walked Between the Towers by Mordicai Gerstein.  It's a great
story, but isn't scanning well.  It's what makes these books harder, but I
think they are still so worth doing.  Hopefully someone will have better
luck with them than I.  After this, I think I won't try such a book again
for a while myself. .

To find a complete list of all the Caldecott winners you can visit this
site.
http://www.ala.org/ala/alsc/awardsscholarships/literaryawds/caldecottmedal/caldecotthonors/caldecottmedal.htm

Thanks for asking for input, and good luck!

Best,
Allison

"It takes a lot of time to be a genius, you have to sit around so much doing
nothing, really doing nothing."
(Gertrude Stein, writer, everybody's autobiography)