[bookshare-discuss] Re: Books with pictures and illustrations

  • From: John Immarino <johni2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 11:58:11 -0700

I agree that most illustrations are used to clarify the text so that trying to translate them back into words would serve no purpose. As for those illustrations which contain new information, the author apparently uses this format because the information is difficult to convey in textual form. This task would probably prove to be just as daunting for any sighted person, but I suppose an attempt should be made.

Cindy Rosenthal wrote:
Shelley's answer about putting the caption and not
worrying about the picture was a good one, but it
depends on how essential to the text the diagram or
chart is. I've validated a lot of nonfiction with such
things. Mostly, the text is explanatory and the
diagram or chart or illustration just illustrates it.
Occasionally, though, what is in the chart isn't in
the text, and then a verbal description could be
necessary. This would have to be done by a sighted
person, probably. Some are easier to describe than
others. Sometimes I've translated them into sentences
and paragraphs, sometimes lists.
If you feel the charts, etc., are essential and should
be "translated" into words rather than just having the
captions, let me know. If I can obtain the book
perhaps I can help.

Cindy Ro
--- John Immarino <johni2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello All,

I am new to Bookshare and would like a little
advice. I have already scanned several books (novels) and they have been accepted, but I am wondering how to handle books that contain
illustrations.

I understand that some pictures could be easily
described verbally. Example: [Picture of a mare in a meadow with her colt], but I would like to scan and submit non-fiction books about science which often contain various figures, charts, and illustrations that cannot be easily described. These illustrations are constantly referred to in the text and I imagine this could be quite confusing for a
visually impaired  person.
Should such books be scanned, or should I stick to
those with very few or no illustrations?

  Put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the
Subject line.  To get a list of available commands,
put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.

WISH LIST (CALLED REQUESTED ADDITIONS TO THE BOOKSHARE COLLECTION)IS AVAILABLE AT http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/wish_list/wish_list.htm
www.lljfm.net/bookshare/home.htm

A LIST OF BOOKS CURRENTLY BEING SCANNED IS AVAILABLE AT http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/
www.lljfm.net/bookshare/home.htm