[bookshare-discuss] Re: Books with pictures and illustrations

  • From: John Immarino <johni2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 11:44:49 -0700

Thanks much for your advice and the examples. It seems to me that an explanation of the picture/diagram should only be necessary if it contains important information not found in the text.

Shelley L. Rhodes wrote:
Hi

There are two rules of thought on this.

1. Scan the nonfiction books and remove the illustrations, keep the captions however as those may be instructive enough.

Examples of this are

Aurora The Mysterious Northern lights

or any in the

World Life Library series. Such as Beluga Whales, Bottlenose Dolphins, or Lions.

2. Scan the book, remove the junk in the illustrations created by the scanner and have someone with vision describe the pictures.

Examples of this

Through Ottis's Eyes
Baily Bymyside

Among others, but those two come to mind.

Both methods work,

I do a lot of the former.

if the diagram is essential then describing it is the best method, and sometimes some of the volunteers will describe things really well.

For an example of this see

Man Who Walked Between the Towers

but the answer is it isn't a hard and fast rule and each book needs to be taken into account.

Luckily in most books illustrations are just that a way to visually illustrate a point being described or explained in the text.

Shelley L. Rhodes, M.A., VRT
And Guinevere: Golden Lady Guide Dog
guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs for the Blind
Alumni Association
www.guidedogs.com

Though force can protect in emergency, only justice, fairness, consideration and cooperation can finally lead men to the dawn of eternal peace. -Dwight D. Eisenhower, U.S. general and 34th president (1890-1969)

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Immarino" <johni2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>