[bookshare-discuss] Re: Books on the Histry of Computers and the Internet

  • From: "susan l. gerhart" <slger123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:12:43 -0700

Great, you've found a fascinating topic. Best authors are Steven Levy, John
Markoff, don Norman, and Henry Petroski. I could not find my favorite, when
Hackers stay Up Late.

go to http://computerhistory.org to find some lectures from legendary figures.
My favorites are the "early computers" the women of eniac.

http://ieee.org also has a podcast of computer history stories and interviews.
also IBM has an oral history section. and there is the babbage Institute in
Minnesota.

so, there are books and there are also the still living figures. for
controversy, look up Alan Turing and admiral grace Hopper.

I hope you find some enjoyable reading and listening.

Susan