[bookshare-discuss] Re: Affordable Books

  • From: "Cindy Deren" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 21:14:22 -0500

Dear Natalie, Monica and Everyone,

Natalie, I'll mail you books for free for scanning and you won't have to
return them. Contact me off list at

airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

My selection definitely is limitless, but I'd try and find books that
interested you.

My favorite source for books is library book sales. Recently I bought about
60 books for a quarter each. Trouble is I was guessing as to what might not
already be in the collection. When I got home, I had a fine time checking
the collection and about 45 weren't there and the others will just be
donated back to a library for resale. The volunteers at the sales help me
find books when I tell them what might interest me. For example, I usually
say, mystery, poetry, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, novels, biography. and the
names of favorite authors I judge might not have been scanned yet.

My second favorite place to shop is Amazon where I always buy used books and
have only been disappointed with one purchase of all the orders I've placed
with the Z shops.

I'm fortunate to have a friend who has a shop on Amazon which is how I'm
able to travel with her to the library sales and to one of my favorite
stores on earth, the Half Price Bookstore. I also buy bargain books from
Barnes and Noble and Borders with staff who help me search.

At the last sale I found an old edition of Penrod by Booth Tarkington. I
loved that story when NLS sent it to me in braille when I was in 6th grade.
When I got it home I found  not only that it was already in the collection,
but that Bookshare has the sequel. I never new there was a sequel to that
wonderful story of a spunky American lad set in the early years of the
twentieth century. Big bonus!!

I love being in the presence of books. It's as if Bookshare came to the
rescue. If I hadn't discovered it just at the time my last abilities to see
print left me, I'd have become a broken-hearted being in despair. Bookshare
reinvented books making them more attainable now than they were when my
partial vision allowed me to trudge through them word by word, slowly and at
the cost of a major headache after every session of reading a few pages.

Gotta put a lid on my enthusiasm! Time to pour my energy into getting my
validation gears reconfigured and moving.

Always With Love,

Lissi