[bookport] Re: When Nls goes online

  • From: "Richard Benoit" <reb503@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 02:15:40 -0500

 Hi Catalina,

I have been trying to follow the NLS developments as best I can and I don't
believe that anyone can give you a definitive answer at this time.  The plan as
I understand it is to begin distributing the new machines in 2008.  There will
be two models as there are now.  There will be a simple one with only basic
comtrols and one with more advanced navigational controls.   I believe that
these machines may not be capable of downloading books.  The distribution of
the machines may take several years depending on funding.  They must,
obviously, have a priority as to who will get them first.  I haven't heard
anything about having to purchase the machines.

From what some of the beta testers have said on this list it might be possible
to download beginning as soon as early next year.  Of course that would depend
on manufacturers producing machines for purchase or enabling an existing device
with the encryption key to unlock the books for play only on that device.  It
has also benn mentiones that there will be a software player for use on
computers.  All of this will require a user name and password for elegible
users.  There are still a lot of ifs.   There are already several thousand
books and three magazines in digital format ready as soon as the delivery
system is in place.  The beta testers used a certain model of the Victor Reader
that had been enabled for the testing.

This information is availabe on the NLS web site.  It is rather lenthy and not
much fun to read.  They do say that they are on or ahead of schedule.

Richard