[bookport] Re: Two suggestions RE send text as audio feature

  • From: "PAMELA RADER" <PRADER@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 08:34:17 -0400

Hello Grant:

Recently, Microsoft made some changes which required us to utalize
using the Sapi5, instead of Sapi 4.  Therefore, all of our programs use
Sapi 5 now.  While we do realize this is an inconvenience to some,
because of the loss of voices, we cannot help that.

Since we are copying the dialog box from what is used in the other
programs, we can't remove the No speach option.

As far as the volume, you might try experimenting with the Volume
settings on the PC side of things and see if that helps, since the
conversion is done on the PC, prior to being sent to the Book Port.
Perhaps if you raise it, it will be to your satisfaction.

Pamela

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> grant_hardy@xxxxxxxxx 10/08/06 11:12PM >>>
Hello,

Here are a couple requests for the send text as audio feature.  What do
you
all think?

1.      Having a "no speech" item in the list of voices is redundant -
why
would you want to use the feature and produce output with no speech?
2.      Can we support SAPI4 voices?  This would enable us to use,
among
other voices, the IBM ViaVoices (Eloquence-sounding voices) for some
familiarity with screen readers.
3.      Can we have the ability to adjust the output quality?  The one
that's used sounds far too low.

Grant