[bookport] Re: Transferring data from one CF card to another

  • From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 23:02:47 -0400

You will need a CF card burner. Here's what you would do:

1. Create a new temporary folder on your computer's hard drive.
2. Place the smaller card into the burner.
3. Locate the files in Windows Explorer.
4. Press CTRL+A to select everything on the card.
5. Press CTRL+X to cut everything from the card to the clipboard.
6. Open the new temporary folder in Windows Explorer.
7. Press CTRL+V to paste everything from the clipboard into that folder.
8. Insert the new card into the burner.
9. Return to the temporary folder, open it, and repeat steps 4 through 7,
except instead of opening the temporary folder as you did in step 6, open
the new card in Windows Explorer.

You need to realize, however, that things very well may not wind up in the
exact order you have them in on the original card, since the way the file
system works is that things will always be arranged alphabetically. Thus, if
you have three folders on the card named A, J, and C and they are currently
in that order on the card, once you copy them, they will be arranged A, C,
and J. You cannot override this in any way that I know of. The same will be
true for the contents within the folders.