[bookport] Re: Send to BookPort issue

  • From: David Chan <chandtw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:42:41 -0700

If my grandmother could use linux I am sure most people can - true my grandmother isn't blind, yes, but I am, and I use it just fine, everyday, at work and at home...

Just consider this: could you put Windows, the whole Office suite, DVD playing software, an browser of your choice and an email client onto a single CD and then boot from it? That is what most home users do on their computer anyway and all it costs is a couple hours downloading the stuff and 10 cents for the blank CD, and you get zero virus ever (I have yet to see a virus try to write itself to a CD with a regular CD drive)

What I am trying to say is: it is a personal choice - if you choose to switch, anything is possible. If you decide not to switch, I respect your choice, but it has nothing to do with technical knowledge of a certain person...

---David

At 04:59 PM 9/28/2005 -0500, you wrote:
Yes!
And to simply advise someone to make that switch without knowing
anything about their technical knowledge seems ridiculous.
I have a friend and co-worker, someone whose technical knowledge is
without question who decided to work in Linux for a while. Well he gave
up simply because the OS is a disorganized one.  Now, let me make this
clear, Linux is fine, however because of the nature of open source
operating systems, documentation is a patchwork and it is difficult for
a blind user to find what he/she needs.
I have a log more to do with my life than typing command lines, like
reading with my Bookport (smile)