[bookport] Re: Audio Question

  • From: buhrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Brian Buhrow)
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:02:12 -0700

        Helo Gary.  As I recall, the Olympus audio file format is not,
strictly speaking, Wav, but rather a proprietary file format which needs a
proprietary player.  Having said that, however, if you can get the player
to spit wav out, you can then use the lame encoder to turn it into mp3.
Lame is nice in that it lets you select what bit rate you want, and, I
imagine, that for a meeting, a low bit rate, say, 32K or so, would be fine.
        On the other hand, though, why use an Olympus as a sound recorder when
you can stick a large flash card in the Bookport and record directly to it?
Its bit rate is fairly low, as I recall, and a 1 or 2 gig card should be
able to record for 10 or more hours, surely long enough for  any meeting of
reasonable duration, yes?
-Brian
On Sep 8,  9:12am, "Gary Wunder" wrote:
} Subject: [bookport] Audio Question
} Recently I've been looking at sound recorders made by Olympus.
} They record for several hours and while their quality isn't
} always fantastic, they are good for capturing meetings. The
} problem for me is that I can't edit them to remove dead space at
} the beginning or during meetings and I don't have a way to
} convert them into a format where I can index them for quick
} retrieval of important information. Does anyone know of a good
} WAV to MP3 converter so that I can at least put them on the
} BookPort which has the capability to do bookmarks?
}
}
}
} Gary