[bookcourier] repeated sections of BookShare books

  • From: "A. Lester Buck III" <bookcourier-reg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookcourier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 17:40:55 -0500

I was wondering if others that listen to the BookShare formatted books
might be able to help answer a question for me.  I would ask this on the
BookShare list, but I can't find such a list on the BookShare.org web
site, and I can't quite be sure that it's a BookShare problem, being
very new to Book Courier.  In addition, I couldn't find any reference to
this in the BookShare FAQ on the web site.

I set up my father on the Book Courier, and I loaded a pile of content
onto it before I delivered it to him.  I learned the keys well enough to
be his technical support over the phone.  [I won't go into the problems
that arise when I forget and start describing the BC with four rows of
keys instead of five, and the horribly confusing instructions one can
give over the phone about entering library mode when that
happens... "The star key, the first key in the last row."  Argh!!]

I loaded about thirty BookShare books into various topical folders.  On
the BookShare site, there is an estimate of the "errors" in the book.
Alas, I can't tell what an "error" is.  Does this mean that a certain
word is misspelled, or a word is missing?

I am asking this because, at least in the first few pages of the three
or four BookShare books I listened to while learning the keys and
functions, there is a lot of repeated text.  What I mean is that at,
apparently random points, suddenly the Book Courier is repeating a
sentence or usually a paragraph that it just read only a few paragraphs
back.  At first, I thought that this was just an echo of earlier text,
some artistic repetition by the author, but after a while it becomes
clear that it is word for word repetition.  I didn't have a lot of time
to figure this out, and I also thought maybe I was using the controls
incorrectly, but my father has reported this same esffect when he
listens to other books.  Progress is eventually made through the book,
but it's a three steps forward, one back, type of effect.

Has this happened to anyone else?  Is this what BookShare refers to as
"errors"?  Or is something broken in my father's particular Book
Courier?

Thanks alot!

Lester