[bookcourier] Falling in love with podiobooks

  • From: "Debee Norling" <debee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookcourier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:07:38 -0800

* Cross-posted to the BlindCoolTech list.

I just discovered podiobooks, and it's wonderful.

It provides free, serialized audiobooks. They are MP3 podcasts, no
encryption. They are by modern authors, most of who aren't famous but are
very good.

There is mostly mystery and sci-fi. Unlike audible, they don't have
thousands of choices, but the site seems completely accessible. It is easy
to subscribe and set your preferences. It's easy to donate and half your
donation goes directly to the author. The narrators are good and the file
quality is high.

I've been downloading like crazy and getting really enthralled with the
stories. EarthCore, the first Sci-Fi book ever podcasted is quite gripping,
though not g-rated.

I just wrote them praising them for making an accessible website that is
very easy for everyone to understand and navigate.  I hope you will all
check it out and send them some donations and fan mail. We need to reward
people who make audio books available cheaply on accessible sites.

--Debee

* The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has
occurred.