[bookcourier] Re: BETTER VOICES?

  • From: "James O'Dell" <jamesodell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookcourier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:29:10 +0100

Hi Ben

I'm sure Springer will correct me if I'm wrong, but  I think this has a lot to
do with the hardware that exists in Book Courier.  Most of the more modern
voices that are available are in fact software-based speech synthesisers which
would require considerably more hardware and memory resources, and a compatible
software platform, to run.  The Book Courier is so economical and affordable
because it is using special software made by the developers rather than any
kind of third-party operating system, and as far as I am aware, the Doubletalk
speech is a dedicated piece of hardware that more or less takes care of itself,
meaning that the BC's internal memory can mostly be dedicated to other
functions.  Also I think using Eloquence or similar would result in a much
shorter battery life.  If you want to use different voices, try a PC tool that
allows you to convert text to mp3 using any voice you have on your system.
take a look at Text aloud from www.nextup.com or Yeosoft text-mp3 speaker from
www.text-mp3.com.  Both offer voices for sale at additional cost.

James