[book_talk] book review--Ransom Riggs

  • From: "Bonnie L. Sherrell" <blslarner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Science Fiction list" <blind-sf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Blind Chit Chat" <Blind-Chit-Chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Books for the Blind" <Books4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Blind Book Lovers Cafe" <bblc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Book Talk" <book_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 11:00:03 -0800

_Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children_
by Ransom Riggs

Jacob Portman was far closer to his grandfather than to his own
parents, which he recognized as a tragedy.  He loved his grandfather's
tales of living in a home on an island off the coast of Wales, and the
odd photographs that documented the children who lived there with him.
One was of a sad looking girl who floated about a foot off the ground.
Another was of what appeared to be a boy with no visible face, hands,
or other body parts protruding from his clothing.  Another was of a boy
whose clothing was covered by bees, his mouth open and bees apparently
emerging from it.

But wasn't it most likely that these photos were staged, and that the
stories Abe Portman told about the children were all delightful lies?

Jacob's father's relationship with his dad was strained, as he was
convinced that Abe had fabricated these stories in order to compensate
for the loss of his family during the Holocaust.  He considered Abe's
collection of automatic weapons and other firearms to be indicative of
paranoid tendencies, and his reports of monsters hunting him to be
similarly inspired.

But when Jacob found his grandfather lying dead in the palmetto woods
behind the old man's Florida home, he was certain he saw a monstrous
shape with what looked like tentacles protruding from its mouth.

Was he, too, half-crazy, as it appeared his grandfather had been?

When his therapist suggested that Jacob visit the island where Miss
Peregrine's home for peculiar children was know to have been, Jacob
sets off to find out the truth of Abraham Portman's history and
personal stories.  And what he finds is--well, it's not what he
expected, not by a long shot!

Riggs admits that his growing collection of odd vintage photographs
inspired many of the incidents and characters he includes in this book,
and at the end he explains how he came by many of them.  The story is
well written and delightfully quirky, and a pleasure to read.  Now I
can't wait until its sequel is released!

I read this in a regular print copy I found at Wal-Mart, although I
note it is available as an e-book.  I think I saw it referenced at
Audible as well, although I cannot be certain my memory is correct.
One does not need to see the included photos to appreciate the story,
although they certainly added to the interest on my part.  Definitely a
book I recommend!
Bonnie L. Sherrell
Teacher at Large

"Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the very wise
cannot see all ends." LOTR

"Don't go where I can't follow."