[book_talk] The Defense, Buffa

  • From: "Rosemarie Grayley" <rgrayley1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <book_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 12:52:33 -0800

The defense
By Dudley Buffa.

The book is on BARD and bookshare.

This is the first book in the Joseph Antonelli series. I started this series
with book 3, not realizing it was part of a series. I enjoyed that book, The
Judgment, Very much and enjoyed this one as well.

Judge Leopold Rifkin, an honorable and learned man, asks Joseph Antonelli to
take  the case of Johnny Morel who is accused of raping his 13 year old
stepdaughter.

Antonelli is an excellent lawyer. Perhaps he is too good, winning too many
cases, and perhaps some cases should be lost, is one of many philosophical
conversations between Rifkin and Antonelli.

Antonelli takes Morel's case. Johnny Morel is acquitted. Years later Morel
is murdered. His wife is accused and is convicted of his murdered. Years
later she visits Judge Rifkin and is murdered in his library. The judge is
accused. Antonelli takes his case.

Helping Antonelli untwist the many threads are an investigator, a friend who
also is a judge, a young law student who is a wizard at research that
Antonelli is in love with and several others. The search extends from Oregon
to California, and to British Columbia.

I loved the trial scenes. And sorting out the guilt or innocence of the
three accused was fascinating.

Good reading,

Rosemarie