[blindza] Portable document and screen reader[?].

  • From: "Boshoff, Deon (GP Health)" <Deon.Boshoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 14:09:20 +0200

Hi,

Was wondering what a "KNFB reader" READER IS?  I HAVE AN IDEA MORE OR LESS WHAT
IT CAN DO, BUT WAS WONDERING EXACTLY HOW WELL IT WORKS, AND HOW MUCH IT COSTS?

Anyway, the TextScout sounds brilliant, and I'll be watching that web address
to catch a demo copy as soon as there is one in English.  With phones with 5 or
more Mega Pixels, these days, it seems obvious that they can be used to good
effect by us.

As for reading on a computer screen, I see that most Windows OS use a light
background, with darker colour letters on it by default, and all "Sighties" use
it just like that, without customizing their screen appearance.  People with
less sight, however, seem to like the way I set up my screens, as far as
possible black background with white letters, preferably larger, while there
are no icons of pictures to be clicked.  Also, I find all those pop-ups rather
irritating, so I tend to remove them.

As Digital cameras have become so advanced, I am sure such a device would be
able to make sense of most screens, except, maybe, the "Blue screen of death".

And it would be so nice to be able to quickly pull out my cell phone, and be
able to read a document on paper, right there and then!

Kind regards,

Deon
[G. Boshoff, BA[Stell]UDC[Potch]
WESKOPPIES HOSPITAL SWITCHBOARD
Tel:              0123199735
Mobile:           0829699571
Fax-to-Email:   0865101295
Fax:              0123277076
Bleeper: 0123199820, code 0002
E-mail:
Deon.boshoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Deon.boshoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Disclaimer:<br><br>
This message may contain confidential information and is intended only for the
disseminate,
distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail
if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your
system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secured or error-free as
incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability
for any errors or omissions in the content of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission. The Gauteng Provincial Government does not take
responsibility for Gauteng Provincial Government users' personal views. Gauteng
Provincial Government services available online at:<a
href="http://www.gautengonline.gov.za/";>www.gautengonline.gov.za</a>