[blindza] OT: Workaround for some web pages being blocked due to geographical location

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "NAPSA Blind" <blind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 08:40:57 +0200

This might be slightly technical/might not be of too much interest to some
people, but, FWIW, while the blindMiceMart.com page seemed to be working fine
for some other guys on other mailing lists, it would sort of just time out from
this side, and I was pretty sure it was due to something like either a routing
issue from my service provider, or that they were sort of blocking access due
to geographical location etc.

Firstly, they don't ship physical products this side of the world anyway, but,
their movie vault page always let you download narrated movie soundtracks if
you had the bandwidth, and didn't mind using sendSpace where they actually host
those MP3 files that are around 70-120Mb each anyway.

Either way, thought of something yesterday, and tried it out, and it worked
generally alright.

Instead of using the specifically accessible google  search page:
http://labs.google.com/accessible/

I went to the normal google homepage, and searched for the following since it
was basically the title of the relevant page when it worked up to a week or 2
ago:
Blind Mice Movie Vault

While the normal/main google search engine interface isn't too nice/perfect
nowadays, primarily due to dynamic HTML usage, under each search result,
there's a link to the cached version of that page, which is sort of hosted by
google themselves, or something, and by navigating to the list of results on
the search results page, or roundabout the third heading on that page, I found
the relevant page, and after going past the small piece of it they display
there, there was a link to the cached version, and it seems to be dated around
a week ago - not sure how often their engine updates these caches - and, on
that page, it wasn't an issue to then go navigate through headings to the
newest additions heading, and get the link to the sendSpace download page for a
movie title/soundtrack from there.

This use of the google cache will also sometimes work for other pages that
might be getting blocked due to geographical location, but, since it's
rendering a cached version of them, you can't really do more than just read the
content there since if you try to interact too much with it, it will reroute
you back to the real version of that site, where, if you were being blocked due
to geographical locations etc., the issue might arise again.