[blindza] Humanware Trekker (Maestro) GPS unit

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BlindZA" <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 01:39:48 +0200

Hi all

Picked this up from NCTech (http://www.nctech.co.za/ ) today so that I can test it and see how it works.

FWIW, it's a fully functional GPS unit specifically designed for blind/VIP people, including a PDA unit that can also do some other things like read eBooks, play music files etc. etc., but which is mainly linked via Bluetooth to an actual GPS receiber so you can use the talking interface and all the rubberised buttons to 'navigate' everywhere in various modes including pedestrian mode, motorised mode, finding points of interest, building routes based on addresses etc. etc.

Anyway, I've basically got it for something around 2 weeks to 'play' with and see how good the functionality is, and whether I'm gonna really think that it's 'useful' as such etc.

Anyway, I'll keep you up to date in terms of how good it works etc., and for interests sake, you actually use a small braille built-in keyboard to input data, but it can also be linked to various other bluetooth/computer devices so that you can, for example, link it to a full bluetooth keyboard, copy music and eBook files across etc. etc.

Anyway, like I said, I'll let you know.

---
The 'homepage' for this list is at http://www.blindza.co.za