[blindeudora] Re: fresh copy of Eudora

  • From: Danny Weiss <dannyw.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindeudora@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 21:09:27 -0700

At 08:01 PM 8/12/2015, northstar1950@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

if you want a empty copy, all you will need is the eudora.ini file that you can place in the eudora folder so all of your settings are retained.

This is true as far as it goes, but it is important to note which directory the eudora.ini is currently stored in and where you wish to have it stored in the future. Our choices are the Eudora program files directory or the Eudora data files directory. Either choice will work, but requires slightly different planning.

If you have created mailboxes, you will only need the .mbx files, eudora will create the .toc files for each mailbox.

Yes, you can get by without the old .toc files, but there are good reasons to keep them. Remember, there is information in those files regarding which messages have been read, etc, that will be lost if you do not keep the old .toc files.

There are also additional files and subdirectories that may be in either the data files or program files directories of the old installation that it might be desirable to keep. Nothing is as important as the "big three," the MBX, TOC, and eudora.INI files, but I doubt anyone wants to lose their contacts (nndbase), attachments, signatures, stationary, plugins, filters (filters.pce) and so on.

Beyond the specifics of the particular question from the original post, all of the issues involved here provide the essential rational for setting up Eudora so that the program files and data files are clearly separated in their own directories. When this is done carefully at the start, all one has to do to move from one system to another in the future is copy the data files directory to the new system and then install a fresh copy of Eudora on that system. FYI: my assumption here is that the eudora.ini file is also kept in the data files directory.

-Danny.

List web page: //www.freelists.org/webpage/blindeudora