[blindcooks] Re: Roast Beef Cooking Tip

  • From: "Jon Rawlings" <twosocks76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 07:13:28 -0800

I don't mean to rain on anyones' parade, but I'm going to be the lone voice of descent on this one. I never, ever buy onion soup mix for any reason because it is just way, way too salty, and the onion flavor tastes artificial to me. I still prefer a pot roast done in a Dutch oven, but I have found a simple recipe for roast in the slow cooker that is similar to the onion soup mix version. I combine condensed French onion soup with a little tomato paste and place that in my slow cooker, followed by the roast - which I tie around the middle - then place carrots and potatoes on top. I prefer Yucon Gold potatoes for this as they hold together better than russets or Idaho, and are thus much easier to remove from the slow cooker. All I have to do then is to let the liquid in the crock settle, skim off the fat, slice the meat, and serve the roast with the gravy and vegies. I find this tastes far better than the onion soup version with only about 2 minutes more of work.

  Jon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sugar" <sugarsyl71@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>