blind_html [Fwd: BAH Microsoft To Rush Out Emergency IE Patch]

  • From: Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind_html@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:09:19 -0600

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: BAH Microsoft To Rush Out Emergency IE Patch
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 21:05:25 -0400
From: Lisa <whitedove621@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <blindAccessHelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> This is something that we need to be aware of.
> Microsoft to Rush out Emergency IE Patch (PC World)
> Published Sat, 25 Jul 2009 03:30:11 GMT
> PC World - Microsoft is taking the unusual step of rushing out two
> emergency
> security patches ahead of its regularly scheduled updates on Aug. 11.
> Yahoo! News
> Microsoft is taking the unusual step of rushing out two emergency security
> patches ahead of its regularly scheduled updates on Aug. 11.
> The patches will include a critical fix for Internet Explorer as well as a
> related Visual Studio patch rated "moderate" urgency by Microsoft.
> "The Internet Explorer bulletin will provide defense-in-depth changes to
> Internet Explorer to help provide additional protections for the issues
> addressed
> by the Visual Studio bulletin," Microsoft said in a late Friday.
> The patches are set to be released on Tuesday at 10:00 a.m. West coast
> time.
> Microsoft didn't say exactly what it was fixing. The company typically
> doesn't rush out these "out-of-band" emergency updates unless the bug is
> being exploited
> by cyber criminals; however, in this case the flaws being patched are not
> being leveraged in attacks, according to Microsoft.
> The problem appears to lie in a widely used Windows component called the
> Active Template Library (ATL). to security researcher Halvar Flake, this
> flaw is
> also to blame for an ActiveX bug that Microsoft identified earlier this
> month. Microsoft issued a kill-bit patch for the problem on July 14, but
> after
> looking into the bug, Flake determined that the patch didn't fix the
> underlying vulnerability, so new attacks are possible.
> Whatever the issue, the new patch should be a top priority for IT staff
> next
> week. "When Microsoft goes to an out-of-band patch, I think it's sensible
> for
> people to apply it," said Roger Thompson, chief research officer with AVG
> Technologies.
> Microsoft didn't give a reason for the rushed update but it may be trying
> stay ahead of any public disclosure at next week's Black Hat security
> conference
> in Las Vegas. The emergency updates are set to be released the day before
> the Black Hat Briefings, where researchers Mark Dowd, Ryan Smith and David
> Dewey
> According to security experts, thousands of Web sites have been used to
> launch on-line attacks that exploit the ActiveX vulnerability patched in
> July. The
> flaw was first reported to Microsoft more than a year ago.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4280 (20090726) __________

http://www.eset.com

__._,_.___
Blind Access Help...The blind leading the blind towards successful lives and careers.

List owner Jimmy.
Co Owner, Nimber.
Moderators, Inthane, Silvia and Cory.

If you have any questions or have problems with the list, please email the management at
blindaccesshelp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Y! Messenger

Want a quick chat?

Chat over IM with

group members.

Yahoo! Groups

Weight Management Challenge

Join others who

are losing pounds.

.

blind_html To unsubscribe, please send a blank email to blind_html-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with unsubscribe in the subject line. To access the archives, please visit: //www.freelists.org/archive/blind_html Thanks