blind_html [Fwd: [gui-talk] Freedom Scientific Releases New GPS Solution for the Blind]

  • From: Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind_html@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 20:56:39 -0600

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [gui-talk] Freedom Scientific Releases New GPS Solution for the Blind
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 10:27:04 +1000
From: Steve Pattison <srp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Access L <access-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Freedom Scientific Releases New GPS Solution for the Blind
StreetTalk VIP Now Shipping

(St. Petersburg, Florida – July 27, 2009) — Freedom Scientific today announced the
immediate availability of StreetTalk™ VIP.

Running on Freedom Scientific’s PAC Mate Omni™ Accessible Pocket PC, StreetTalk VIP
offers GPS navigation that takes into account the unique needs of people with visual
impairments. The application uses technology from the Sendero Group to determine
the best route from point A to point B for either a vehicle or a pedestrian and presents
information to the user with synthesized speech and/or refreshable braille.

Jonathan Mosen, Freedom Scientific’s Vice President of Blindness Hardware Product
Management, says, “StreetTalk VIP is a powerful tool for exploring your surroundings
both virtually and in real time."

Mosen adds that, “During our extensive user testing process, I’ve used StreetTalk
VIP in New Zealand, Australia, the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States.
I can sit in my hotel room and find information about nearby points of interest.
Using the virtual mode, I can explore the surrounding streets while I’m still in
my room, and decide where I want to go before switching on my GPS receiver and venturing
outside. If I’m taking a taxi, I can print out the route directions for the driver
or simply monitor my PAC Mate Omni and give him directions. StreetTalk VIP gives
me great real time information, whether I’m traveling on foot or in a vehicle. I
love the independence I have with StreetTalk VIP and would not leave home without
it.”

StreetTalk VIP is available with maps for the US and Canada, Western Europe, Australia,
and New Zealand.

For more information, including a full pricing schedule, please visit the
StreetTalk VIP Web page
 or call 1-800-444-4443.

Regards Steve
Email:  srp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx