[blind-democracy] Re: FW: Re: Listen Liberal

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 14:28:29 -0400

I just made a quality report on one of the copies. In the next few days one should either be removed or both will remain and that would mean that I am misunderstanding something. In the past when I have made a quality report they have always gotten back to me to tell me how they would resolve the problem, so if I am misunderstanding something I suppose I will be informed as to what it is that I am misunderstanding. By the way, even though the publishers are not checked up on as carefully as volunteers are the publishers do frequently submit things that do not belong on Bookshare. Sometimes--and Penguin is especially guilty of this--the publisher will submit an ebook that is very very short and turns out to be nothing but advertising for other books. Bookshare does not want these ads in their collection and when I have found them and reported them in the past they were promptly removed.

On 5/13/2016 2:15 PM, Roger Loran Bailey (Redacted sender rogerbailey81 for DMARC) wrote:

When there is a volunteer produced book on Bookshare and a publisher contributes the book the volunteer copy is removed. Bookshare does, however, allow for different editions being treated as different books . I thought that was the case this time because I thought when I looked at the two different copies before that they had different publishers. I must have been inattentive the time I looked at the first one and when I looked at the second one I remembered the publisher as a different publisher. If that had been the case it would almost certainly have meant that they had been published in different countries with different imprints. However, I just went back to the two listings to check and, indeed, they do have the same publisher and the ISBN matches too. I don't think that this usually happens at Bookshare and they might want it reported so that they can remove one. Both copies are publisher submitted copies, so I would guess that the publisher submitted both accidentally. Bookshare does a lot of checking up on volunteer submissions to catch, among other things, duplicates. They do not do that much checking on the publisher submitted books though. The publishers, for one thing, submit electronic files of what is transmitted to their printing presses and so all the formatting, proofreading, and copy editing has already been done. Also the publishers are given a lot of leeway and do not have to adhere to the strict guidelines that volunteers do. That is because the publishers submit books on a voluntary basis and do not get a lot out of it other than some public relations value. If you hit them with too many restrictions they might just say forget it and quit submitting. Whatever the case, though, on closer examination I do believe that these two copies are identical. I can't say that it really matters too much because with all the books that Bookshare has a duplicate will not take up a whole lot of bandwidth, but I will report this to them and let them do what they want with the information.

On 5/13/2016 12:00 AM, Paul Wick wrote:
Miriam,

Bookshare Will often have two or sometimes three versions of the same book; this is usually because one of the books has scanning errors, or one copy was provided by volunteers, and another by the publisher itself. They get a lot of books Direct from publishers.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Sent from my iPhone

On May 12, 2016, at 7:41 PM, Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So I just looked on Bookshare and it just looks like the book is listed
twice with precisely the same description. It doesn't give the publisher in
either description that I've read.

Miriam