[blind-democracy] Chicago Votes to Welcome Refugees, Challenges Governor's Authority

  • From: "S. Kashdan" <skashdan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Blind Democracy List" <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 08:23:42 -0800

Chicago Votes to Welcome Refugees, Challenges Governor's Authority

Opposing Rauner, Chicago City Council votes to welcome Syrian refugees

Organized Communities, November 18, 2015

http://organizedcommunities.org/syrian-refugees/

On Wednesday, the Chicago City Council voted on a resolution to reaffirm the
City's "status as a sanctuary city, and its commitment to remain a place of
sanctuary and refuge for refugees from all around the world."

Chicago, IL — Within 48 hours of Governor Rauner grandstanding on refugees
in the state, a petition started by the #Not1More campaign had received over
5,000 signatures from city residents urging the Mayor to distinguish the
city from the Governor’s fearmongering and reaffirm his September letter
welcoming refugees.

Answering that demand, the city council took up a resolution today sponsored
by Ald. Burke and co-sponsored by Ald. Rosa (see language attached),
“reaffirm the City of Chicago’s status as a sanctuary city, and its
commitment to remain a place of sanctuary and refuge for refugees from all
around the world.” The resolution goes on to urge city agencies to
collaborate to “provide shelter and sustenance for refugee families.”

In response, Irene Romulo of Organized Communities Against Deportations
said, “Times of crisis require all of us to define our position. The
Governor’s fearmongering doesn’t represent us as a city and the city council’s
resolution was a necessary rebuttal of his hate. We need to keep working
together to make Chicago the most welcoming city in the world. That work is
far from over.”Hatem Abudayyeh of the Arab American Action Network added,
“We’re heartened to see Chicago’s city council stand up to the culture of
hate that’s shown itself in recent days. Our city is better when we stand
together in welcome of those in need of help. We call again on Governor
Rauner to ?s?top the hatemongering and continue to open the door of our
state to Syrian refugees”

The groups are movingforward with an already planned march this Saturday
from the Pilsen neighborhood to Immigration authorities’ headquarters as
part of a national week of action demanding DHS and ICE address inhumane
deportation practices and stop the removals that have continued since the
President’s executive action exactly a year ago this week.