[blind-chess] Re: Some Chess Questions

  • From: "Jeffrey Turner" <jturner522@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 05:24:40 -0400

Hi Richard,

Could it be that some of the activity with the buddy chess idea is under
your radar? For example, if Mike, Jerry, or Hugh let you know we're about 20
moves into a buddy game, I'm not aware of it. Could there be other buddy
activity going on that just isn't being reported?

As to the handicapping, I'm in ffavor of weighting points awarded to a
weaker player for beating a stronger playerwithin the rating system, but
only if it doesn't make the rating system too burdensome for the volunteer
having to do the calculation. I'm not at all interested in giving up pawns
or pieces to accommodate a handicap. One of the most difficult things about
chess is that in order to learn, you've got to lose. If a stronger player
handily trounces another player, I think we should encourage game reviews so
that the weaker player can learn where he or she went wrong. Maybe some of
this post-game analysis could be shared with the list? This would be much
more helpful than playing against a stronger player with fewer pieces.

I also like the report you've got now. No changes needed there.

Thanks,

Jeffrey