[blazie-support] Re: sick M40 saga

  • From: "Stephanie Brown" <steph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blazie-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 17:19:07 -0400

Hi Laura,
        Glad to hear that your Braille Lite 40 is working well for you. I am
including here, for you and anyone else interested, the procedure we have
written for cleaning and caring for your Braille display.

Stephanie

Care of the Braille Display

Here are a few simple guidelines to protect and prolong the life of your
Braille display.
1.  You may clean the surface with a soft lint-free cloth dampened with 90%
isopropyl alcohol; you can also use cleaning solution for tape heads and
optical drives.
   A.  Raise all the dots.
      a.  On a Braille Lite 40, open the clipboard and press dot 7 until all
pins are raised. You will have to do this 40 times. NOTE: If you are using
the July 2001 update or later, you may need to first press o-chord 8-chord
to make this work.
      b.  On the 18-cell Braille Lite, open the clipboard and do the
following sequence of commands: dots 45-chord, Computer Braille 255,
e-chord, Computer Braille 20, e-chord. Then press the advance bar to the
left once.
      c.  Lower the dots on either unit by pressing the spacebar until the
display is clear.
   B.  With all of the dots raised, gently wipe across the display with your
moistened cloth. Then lower the dots and wipe your cloth across the display
again.
   C.  It may be necessary to repeat this procedure 5 or 6 times to clean
your display properly.
   D.  We recommend that you clean your display on a regular basis, perhaps
once a month.
2.  Keep the Braille Lite in its case or under a protective cover when it is
not in use. This will protect the display from dust. If the unit has been
sitting uncovered and there is a possibility that dust may have settled on
it, wiping over it with a Swiffer will help clear it away.
3.  Do not place heavy objects on the unit.
4.  Keep the unit well away from food, beverages and other substances which
can clog the display. The pins, or pegs, which serve as dots must be able to
extend and retract freely through small openings in the cell caps.
5.  Avoid placing the Braille Lite in direct sunlight for long periods of
time. Long exposure to heat can cause severe damage to the cells.
6.  DO NOT attempt to repair the display. PLEASE NOTE: Any repair of the
Braille display must be done by a qualified technician. There are a number
of components in the display which can be easily damaged by persons not
trained in proper handling procedures. No effort should be made by the
customer to repair the display by using sharp objects. The display should
never be taken apart. It takes extremely high voltages to drive the display,
which presents a significant shock hazard. If a Braille Lite is dropped,
dislodging pins or cell caps, the unit should be sent in for repair. Please
do not attempt to reinsert the pins. Simply include any dislodged parts in
the package when you send it in for repair.