[blazie-support] Re: need help with file management braille lite

  • From: Stephen Clower <supersteve03@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blazie-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 16:54:55 -0500

Hi.
At first, file management can seem a bit daunting, but once you learn the
hot keys, it's a breeze. To create a file, go into the files menu by
hitting O-chord F. To create a file, press the letter C. The unit will ask
you for a filename, and once specified, will place you in your newly
created file.
TO manage folders, you must have "allow folder mode" set to on. This option
can be found in the status menu. Press dots 34-chord and then F-chord. If
you hear "Allow folder mode off" press the spacebar to turn it on. Exit the
status menu with an E-chord. Now, reenter the files menu with an O-chord F.
Hit the spacebar to toggle from all files mode to folder mode.
Below, I'm including an excerpt from the 1996 update documentation which
explains the various commands available in folder mode. Note: this is six
years old, and a few things have changed in regard to programs run in
Flash, but the commands are the same.

Folders
  The following supplements chapter 4 of the Braille 'n Speak manual.

   With folders you can take the list of files in your file list and
organize them into groups of related files.  You may create up to 20
separate folders, label them with whatever names you like and move any
files you choose into them.  A folder is kind of like a group or subgroup
where you can easily categorize your files.  Here are some examples.

   If you use your Blazie notetaker a lot, you might have several files
containing letters to friends or business associates.  You might also have
some files containing class notes: a biology file, a file for science
notes, history, etc.  You also might have some of our external software in
your machine, like Graphit or Braille Term.
   In the past the difficulty has been that these files are often scattered
in your unit, with very little organization.  Now, you can organize your
files into folders.  To use our previous examples, you might have a folder
called "school" containing your biology, history and science files.  You
might want to have a folder called "programs" with your external software
like Braille Term and Graphit.  And, you might have a "letters" folder to
store all those letters you've written.  With the 1996 update, this is now
possible.
   In order to use the new folder mode, you must first enter the status
menu with dots 34 chord or the F10 key on a Type 'n Speak.  Press F-chord
or alt-F on a Tns and you will arrive at a new option called "allow folder
mode."  The "allow folder mode" option must be enabled before you can use
the new folder commands.
   From the status menu, press F-chord or alt-F on a Tns.  If you hear the
message "allow folder mode off" then you will need to press the letter Y to
turn this feature on.
   Once the "allow folder mode" option is turned on, the following options
will be available to you.  To activate folder mode, press the space bar
from the file menu.  This will toggle the unit from its default state which
we call "all files mode" to the new "folder mode."  In the "all files"
mode, the unit behaves exactly as it used to, allowing you to move up and
down your file list.  However, "folder mode" shows you your file list
differently.  It is very important to understand that even though you can
access your files from two different places now, all files mode and folder
mode, you still only have one copy of each file.  The space bar acts as a
toggle, switching you from "folder mode" and then back to "all files
mode."  If you turn the "allow folder mode" option off in the status menu,
the unit will be locked in whatever mode the spacebar puts you in.  In
other words, if you were in "all files mode" and you then turn "allow
folder mode" off in the status menu, the spacebar will not act as a toggle
but will instead keep you in "all files" mode.
   In folder mode, dot 1 chord and dot 4 chord (up arrow and down arrow on
a Tns) moves you up and down your file list in the folder you happen to be
in.  By default, there is a folder called "ram startup" which will contain
your help, clipboard and calendar files.
   You will also notice an additional folder called "flash startup" which
can only be used in units with the superflash option.  However, you can
certainly create additional folders and place your files in those
folders.  Creating folders is easy.  First, before attempting to use any of
the folder commands, make sure you're in "folder mode" by pressing the
spacebar from the file menu.  Remember that the spacebar will toggle you
from "all files mode" to "folder mode" and you must be in "folder mode" to
use a folder command.
   To create a new folder, just press dots 346 (or the plus key) on your
machine, and you will be asked which folder you wish to create.  Simply
enter the folder name, followed by E chord, (or return on a Type 'n Speak,)
and the folder will be immediately created.
   Note: if you have a superflash unit, you will hear an additional prompt
which will ask you to "enter F for flash or R for ram folder."  Entering
the letter F means that the folder you have just created is for flash
memory only.  Entering R for ram means that the folder is located in ram
memory.  If you don't have a superflash unit, then you will not hear this
prompt.
   To move from folder to folder, press dots 2-3 chord to move to the
previous folder, and dots 5-6 chord to move to the next folder.  On a Type
'n Speak, these are the pageup and pagedown keys, respectively.

   Dots 2-3-6 chord moves to the first folder in your folder list.  This is
alt 8 on a Tns.  Dots 3-5-6 chord moves to the last folder, which is an alt
0 on your Tns.  Dots 2-3-5-6 chord speaks the name of the currently open
folder.  This is an alt 7 on a Tns.  In addition, the first ten folders,
numbered 0 through 9, can be immediately opened by simply typing the number
of the folder.  For instance, your "Letters" folder might be numbered
6.  If so, you can immediately jump to that folder by typing a Nemeth 6,
dots 235, or just the 6 key on a Type 'n Speak.
   To rename one of your folders, press a CH chord, which is dots 1-6 chord
from the folder whose name you want to change.  This is an alt-star on a
Type 'n Speak.  You will be prompted for the new name of your
folder.  Write the name you want followed by E chord or enter.
   To delete a folder from your unit, first move or delete all files from
the folder and then press dots 36 or the dash key and the folder will be
removed. The reason you need to remove your files from a folder you want to
delete is because you can only delete a folder if that folder is
empty.  This is actually good, because otherwise you might delete a folder
which could contain valuable files.  It is important at this point to
remember that if you delete a file from a folder, it will also disappear
from the all files mode.  The opposite is also true: if you delete a file
when in all files mode, it will also disappear from the corresponding
folder where it is held.  Remember that All of these folder commands must
be issued from the file menu, as opposed to the open file.  You also must
be in "folder mode" when you issue a folder command.  If you are in "all
files" mode and try to issue a folder command, your unit won't let you do
this and you'll have to press the spacebar to go into "folder mode" first.
   Once you have created a folder, you'll probably want to move one or more
of your files to that folder.  Originally, your unit will have two folders
called the "ram startup" folder and the "flash startup" folder.  Let's say,
as an example, you want to copy the "calendar.brl" file from the "ram
startup" folder to a new folder you have created.
   First, make sure that you're in "folder mode" by pressing the spacebar
from the file menu.  Next, move the pointer in the file menu to the
"calendar.brl" file.  When you know you're pointing to the "calendar.brl"
file, press the GH sign chord, which is dots 1-2-6.  This is the Shift
numlock on a Tns.
   You will be asked which folder you'd like to move the file to.  Now,
press dot1 chord or dot 4 chord (up arrow or down arrow on a Tns) to move
up and down the list of folders.  When you hear the name of the folder you
want to move your file to, press E-chord or the return key on a Tns and the
file will be moved to the folder you pointed to.
   You may also press the numbers 0-9 when choosing the destination folder
to tell the machine which folder to move the "calendar.brl" file to.  Your
first folder, "ram startup" is folder 0, the next folder will be folder 1,
etc.  So, at this point, if you enter the number 1, the "calendar.brl" file
will automatically be moved from the "startup" folder to the next folder in
your machine.
   You can also use dots 126 without the chord, which is the less than key
on a Tns to move more than one file to any folder you wish.  You do this by
"marking" or tagging which file or files you want to move.  If you have
used our external disk drive, the Pcdisk program or if you've used your
notetaker to do ymodem or kermit transfers, then you'll probably recognize
the following commands.
   From the "folder mode" in the file menu, press dots 126 or the less than
key on your Type 'n Speak.  You will be in a list which is called the
taglist, which contains the names of all of the files which you have in
your machine.  You will hear "filename is not marked", where "filename" is
the name of a file in your machine.  For example, you might hear "calendar
is not marked."  Press dot 1 chord and dot 4 chord to move up and down the
list of files in your machine.  This is an up arrow or down arrow on a Type
'n Speak.  You will see that you're in a list of files which you currently
have in your unit.  You will hear each file name as you move down the list,
followed by the words "is not marked."  In other words, in our example, if
you hear "calendar is not marked" this means that the "calendar" file is
not going to be moved to a folder.  If you don't want to send the
"calendar" file to a folder, move down your list until you hear a file that
you do in fact want to move to a different folder.
   You can even move through the tag list by grouping according to folders
with dots 23 chord and 56 chord (pageup and pagedown on a Tns) to mark
files which are in a folder other than the one you're currently in.  When
you hear a file that you want to send to a folder, press the spacebar to
"mark" or tag it to be moved.  You will then hear "filename is
marked."  The spacebar will toggle the currently pointed to file from being
marked or unmarked.  Pressing the letter Y will also mark the file you're
pointing to in the list, and pressing the letter N will unmark
it.  Pressing a Y-chord (alt-Y on a Tns) will mark the file you're pointing
to and will move the pointer to the next file in the taglist.  Pressing the
letter M will mark all of the files which are in the currently active
folder.  Pressing the letter U will unmark all of the files in the
currently active folder.  Pressing the letter O will toggle the currently
open file from being either marked or unmarked.  Pressing an M-chord (alt-M
on a Tns) will allow you to specify a file or files to mark.  For example,
press M-chord and you will hear "enter file name."  If you write *.txt,
followed by e chord or enter, then all files with a txt extension in the
currently active folder will be marked.  U-chord or alt-U on a Type 'n
Speak does the opposite; it allows you to specify a file or files you want
to unmark.  Pressing R will mark all "ram files."  These are all of the
files in the ram or regular memory of your machine, but this command will
not mark flash files.  To mark all of the files in your superflash memory
area, press the letter F.
   Feel free to take as much time as you want to mark any of the files you
want to move to a specific folder.  Once you have marked all of the files
you want to move, press E chord or enter.  You will then be asked for the
folder you want to move the marked files to.  Enter a number from 0-9, or
simply move up and down the list until you hear the folder you want to move
the files to, and press E chord.
   By the way, you are not limited to moving a file just from a ram folder
to a flash folder or from a flash folder to a ram folder.  You may also
move files from ram folder to ram folder and from flash folder to flash
folder.  In short, you can move a file from its current folder to any other
folder in your unit.

Quickly Moving from Flash to Ram
   The following section only applies to units with the superflash memory
option.  If your unit does not have superflash memory installed, this
command will not work.
   If you are in "all files mode" there's a quick way to move a file in
your ram memory to your flash memory area, or you can do just the opposite
by moving a file which is in flash memory to your ram memory.
   To do this, make sure you're in "all files mode" by pressing the
spacebar from the file menu.  If you hear your machine say "folder mode"
then simply press the spacebar again to return to "all files" mode.
   Now, find a file you wish to move.  As an example, move to your
"calendar.brl" file in your file list and press a GH or dots 126 chord
(shift numlock on a Tns.  You will hear "move calendar.brl to flash, enter
Y or N."  Pressing the letter Y will move the "calendar.brl" file to your
first flash folder, which by default is called "flash startup."  If you
press dots 126 chord while pointing to a file which is in your flash memory
area, you will be able to move that file to your first ram folder, which by
default is called "ram startup."  Warning: If your unit is NOT a superflash
unit, you can NOT move a file into the "flash startup" folder.  Attempting
to do so will not crash the machine, but the file will not be moved and
will remain in the folder where it was.

Hope this helps
Best Regards
Steve
At 11:43 PM 8/20/02 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi list!
>I need help learning how to create folders, files in the folders and how
>to find them.  I have a braille lite 2000, 18 cell.  Thanks, Teresa
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---