[bksvol-discuss] Re: using machines for what they were meant to do - Long Post

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:36:52 -0400

Hi E.
That is a good thing if the same publisher always uses the same settings,
but that may not be the case. The thing to do would be to get all
publishers to submit books in the same format. If that can't be done, then
have each publisher agree to submit in a particular format. Predictability
is what we would want.

Thanks.

Jim

James D Homme, Usability Engineering, Highmark Inc.,
james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"The difference between those who get what they wish for and those who
don't is action. Therefore, every action you take is a complete
success,regardless of the results." -- Jerrold Mundis
Highmark internal only: For usability and accessibility:
http://highwire.highmark.com/sites/iwov/hwt093/

             "E."
             <thoth93@earthlin
             k.net>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             bksvol-discuss-bo                                          cc
             unce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             g                                                     Subject
                                       [bksvol-discuss] Re: using machines
                                       for what they were meant to do -
             09/10/2008 01:03          Long Post
             PM

             Please respond to
             bksvol-discuss@fr
                eelists.org

I only did a bit of Cobol maintenancing programming in the eighties
so my skill is limited.

Your example makes me wonder if software can be told which publisher
the book being worked on comes from. Then the machine do this in such
and such a case and something different when dealing with a different
publisher.

E.

At 12:51 PM 9/10/2008, you wrote:
>Hi E.
>Unfortunately, machines like it better when they can predict what they are
>going to process. Using mark up is one way to attempt to make it easier on
>the machines to do what They do. If this works out, publishers may be able
>to automate creating the mark up the bookshare software needs, which is
>good. Humans can help to do that, but unfortunately, as volunteers, we may
>not have the luxury of being able to do it right away. It may be possible
>to do some of it though.
>
>Here is one example where humans may need to intervene. When you scan a
>book from publisher A, they use font A, size A, style A to mark up their
>chapter headings. When you scan a book from publisher B, they use Font B,
>Size B, Style B to mark up their chapter headings. A machine would have no
>way to know how to deal with that ahead of time. Human judgement must come
>into play. You might be able to take your scanning software and, when you
>see patterns, tell your scanning software to replace Font B, Size B, Style
>B with Font A, Size A, Style A, assuming that there is a convention that
>everyone decided on for which fonts, styles, and sizes chapter headings
>will be marked up at. Then, you could stipulate to the machine that it
will
>look for Font A, Size A, Style A, and mark up chapter headers with
whatever
>DAISY code it does that with. Or, you may be able to create Word macros
>that can look through documents and insert four colons in front of any
>paragraphs whose text has a certain Word style or font attributes. For any
>documents that don't adhere to whatever conventions we come up with,
humans
>are going to have to intervene at some point, because there is bound to be
>text that the machines can't process. The machines should be smart enough
>to reject a book, act like a compiler, and spit out messages that say that
>on line n it didn't understand the formatting, so it left it alone. Humans
>would have to go in and fix the issue and run the book through the machine
>again.
>
>Computers aren't magical. They're pretty stupid. We have to think for
them.
>Once things are set up, they can take a lot of the work away from us and
>make us more efficient, which is something I am for, because that would
get
>tons more books into the system.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Jim
>
>James D Homme, Usability Engineering, Highmark Inc.,
>james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810
>
>"The difference between those who get what they wish for and those who
>don't is action. Therefore, every action you take is a complete
>success,regardless of the results." -- Jerrold Mundis
>Highmark internal only: For usability and accessibility:
> [...]
cc
>              unce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject