[bksvol-discuss] Re: to Jackie and all,

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:52:05 -0500

One can purchase a full terabyte hard disk at Best Buy for under $200 these
days (I got one for my Macintosh for $149 on sale about three weeks ago).
With storage like this hanging off of your USB port, you never need worry
about moving anything to the recycle bin as, unless you scan the entire
Library of Congress you will probably never need the additional space.

If we value our time at some number of dollars per hour, finding ways to
avoid losing work looks awful cheap and I've a handful of external drives
all in pairs so one will always have most of the data on the live one.
Sure, I'm neurotic about losing work but I've been burned enough times to
everything from hardware failures to my own mistakes that a few hundred
bucks invested in external storage feels real economical to me.

Just a suggestion from a cranky and paranoid old bugger.

Happy Hacking,
cdh

Chris Hofstader
email: cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx