[bksvol-discuss] Re: the unscannable book

  • From: Julia <julia.kulak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 21:17:10 -0400

                    Hi Mayrie and list.
    I don't think that was a ramble. It made things much clearer.
Thanks for that explanation.
Julia

On 03/08/2011 7:39 PM, Mayrie ReNae wrote:
Hi Julia,
Two-page mode doesn't help, in my experience. The space in the book between pages is smaller, as you know, than usual, and OCR tends not to be able always to distinguish which text should be on each page. The book doesn't always lie completely flat if you shift the book to beyond where the spine is when scanning in single-page mode. However, It seems to me that there is a space about one-quarter or a bit more of an inch, right up next to the edge of the scanner where the book gutter (the place where the pages meet) presses into the edge of the scanner that doesn't scan. So, by pushing the book just beyond the gutter to scan a page, you're forcing that unscannable spot to be the gutter of the book, and it doesn't matter much if that part isn't completely flat. If the book is a paperback, you can often hold the book open wide enough that it will be nearly flat anyway. It's, as I said, a bit awkward, but it has worked for me before. Occasionally I get junk characters in that icky between pages spot that I have to remove, but I find removing junk characters, though annoying, and tedious, much less a problem than inserting text that got cut off.
Sorry for such a long ramble!
Hope it helped a little.
Maybe others have other experiences.
Mayrie