[bksvol-discuss] Re: tactile aids? Re: bksvol-discuss Digest V2 #51

  • From: "Tiffany H. Jessen" <tjessen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:52:32 -0500

I too went to a school for the blind for part of my schooling. besides the
tactual maps and atlases in the classrooms, our library had this great
globe. Now a days they make them a little smaller and can talk, but this was
an old style made of wood, and very big. It stood on the floor, and was
probably around four feet high. Where the ocean was, it was smooth with
exception for the longitude and latitude lines, and then where the seven
continents were it bulged way out so you not only knew you were touching
land, but you could see the topography of the land. I think it told the
mountain and major rivers, but to keep it from being busy I don't think the
land had longitude and latitude lines. It also spun on an access the way
real  globes do, so you could explore the whole thing easily.
Once I left the school for the blind I got the big braille atlas that APH
sells, but I don't like it nearly as much. It does have a lot of information
in it, but main thing I wanted it for was to locate different European
countries, identify their shape and bordering countries. This atlas just has
Europe on one big page and doesn't distinguish anything I wanted to further
explore. The atlas does show the boarders for the fifty states, but it's
very large and takes up at least thirty pages. If I didn't already know the
shape and location of the fifty states it would be very hard to piece all
the pages together in my mind. Thankfully I had to memorize all that stuff
in grammar school far before I started loosing my sight.
Tiff