[bksvol-discuss] Re: synopses

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 13:13:31 -0600

Apologies.  'romance' and 'fantasy' are not valid synopsis.  Rather, they
are categories.  A synopsis should capsure the uniqueness of the book.
Something like:

18-year-old "Wwendoleen, blinded at 12 by a stray UFO strike in a lone
Iowa field, finds meaning in life by husbanding blind gozzling, until she
is befriended by a handsome apiculturist.

On the other hand, Category assignments may be:

literature and fiction, romance, science fiction, teens.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

". . . Maybe it was only those who were most certain they were right who
were guaranteed to be wrong. And that maybe, just maybe, those who
questioned the most were in the end those who came closest to being wise."
[David Poyer, The Command]

"Christina" <greensleeves1@xxxxxxxxx>
01/16/2008 12:15 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: synopses

I'll add to that.
I've seen many synopses that say something like "conventional fantasy" or
"romance."  I know there isn't much room in the Short Synopsis section
but,
if we're going to put in brief descriptions like that, I think we should
also add "See long Synopsis" and then fill in the Long Synopsis section
with
information on what the book is actually about.
Christina