[bksvol-discuss] Re: spelling

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:18:38 -0700

Hi, all, I was a really lazy kid when learning Braille, but now I'm glad I
have the knack of it. I don't know if your teachers ever mentioned that
Braille has a logic to it. When I was a kid, nobody ever said to me: "Hey,
do you notice how A through J feels? The first dot of E goes to the left and
the second goes to the right. Do you see how the first dot of I is? It goes
down on the left and the second dot goes up on the right? If you look at K
through T, it's exactly like A through J except dot 3 is added to everything
. . ." In fact, I noticed this when I was learning Grade 3 Braille and I
thought how adults could understand the logic of Braille. I have no idea if
this helps or not for adults who are trying to be comfortable with Braille.
I'm wondering if somewhere along the line folks are making Braille less
logical which might be scaring them. Also, I think if folks take their time,
they might get somewhere. I recognize Braille is completely different for
folks who were used to reading print before they became blind, but I urge
you to not sell yourselves short. You are right that speech is easy, but
then again, Braille is a means of literacy and can connect with your brains
when reading a book. I also know that this might be a hard thing to come to,
and I don't remember when it happened to me. I've been blind all my life so
Braille to me is like reading print to sighted folks. That's all I'll say on
this, but if you want to talk about this with me, could you email me off
list so I don't get in trouble (smile)? Regards, Kim aka Ellinder.