[bksvol-discuss] scanning books with page numbers at the bottom of the page using k1000 and fine reader

  • From: "Larry Lumpkin" <llumpkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 11:46:06 -0600

Here's the explanation of the problem I posted earlier.

Below is the paste of the explanation I sent to one of my proofers.

After much searching, nashing of teeth and pulling of hair, Steve Baum
helped us find the problem.  It is a new "feature" in the finereader
software K1000 is using now.  Fine reader now attempts to make formatting
decisions about the scans it processes such as determining headers, footers
and section/chapter headings.  It thinks the bottom page number is a footer
which doesn't bother k1000 at all as long as you leave the document in .kes.
But, when you convert to rtf, finereader isn't smart enough to do the
conversion right and it and k1000 get confused.  All of a document's pages
are merged into the rtf file which is one "page" which the process sticks
with a footer containing the last page number it sees.  We see the page
breaks which is fine with us but all but the last print page number
disappear.  I ran a test using Scansoft and all works fine.